I realized that something I rarely talk about is that I am an introvert. It wasn’t until I was older that I first heard the term ‘introvert’ and what it meant. It was like finding a piece of myself. I finally understood why I always felt different from others. I am going to talk a lot about my own personal experiences as an introvert but for any other information, I reference introvertdear.com. The links to direct website pages will be at the end of this post.
what is an introvert?
According to introvertdear.com they define being an introvert as “someone who prefers calm, minimally stimulating environments.” And I have to agree.
They also share that studies show that up to 30 to 50% of people are introverts. Which is a lot of people. So why does it still feel like introverts are the minority and unheard of.
- Someone who prefers their solitude over being surrounded by multiple people.
- I do prefer to be on my own more often than not. I like being alone in my room. It feels almost safer, I guess is the best way to describe it. There are no expectations, no rules. I can just be.
- Someone who needs time alone to recharge after socializing for a longer period of time.
- And being on my own is how I ‘recover’ from socialization. Especially after larger family parties and from work where I interact with dozens of people daily. I need that time alone to just exist. And this usually is just me sitting or laying down and doing absolutely nothing.
- Someone who prefers to have deep conversations over small talk.
- I wanna know if you believe in aliens. I want to know why your favorite color is your favorite color. Sure, I want to know all the little things about you but I also want to know more. I have had some incredible conversations with my friends about anything and everything because of this.
assumptions made about introverts
- I am not rude or stuck up.
- Just because I am quiet and don’t respond to every single comment doesn’t mean I am stuck up or that I don’t like you. It’s like I said before, I can’t do small talk. It makes me uncomfortable to be fake. I don’t mean to be standoffish with people.
- I don’t need social classes.
- I am only socially awkward around new people or the few people I don’t actually like. It talks a while to be comfortable around someone new.
- I am not broken.
- Just because I am an introvert doesn’t mean there is something wrong with me. I don’t need to be fixed. I am fine just the way I am thank you very much.
- Here’s the thing… I actually like hugs. I like cuddling. I like touch. I really do. But what I don’t like, is when I am made to feel guilty or ashamed for not wanting hugs and to be touched all the time. It is my body, I get to chose when I want it or not. This one is probably more specific to me.
are you an introvert?
If you are wondering if you might be an introvert here are just a few signs to look for:
- You like to spend time alone.
- You’d rather have a few close friends rather than dozens.
- You often find yourself daydreaming or off in your own little world.
- You like to stay in the background of things rather than in the front getting all the attention.
- You might be better at writing things out then speaking them.
This is just a short list of some signs that you might be an introvert. There are others and I encourage you to do some research if you’re not sure.
but that doesn’t mean…
None of this means that any of this applies to each and every single introvert out there. Some of this will apply to a lot of different introverts but a lot of this is from my own personal experience so some of it won’t.
There are many different types of introverts. There are extroverted introverts and introverted extroverts. Some people need minutes or hours to recharge, others may need a day or two. Every person is unique and that applies to personality traits too.
I’ve accepted who I am and what makes me, me and that is me being an introvert. I much prefer to write things then speak them out loud. I hate talking on the phone. I love reading books and daydreaming all the time. I have just a few close friends I love spending time with and I hate being the center of attention.
I’m not the best at finishing off blog posts, so I’ll just say I hope you enjoyed this post and let me know what you think in the comments below!